Friday, November 14, 2014

Aida Wedo Goddess of Hidden Treasures



Haiti goddess, Aida Wedo, rules over fire, water, wind, and the rainbow.  She speaks to all those who chase rainbows, hoping to find that treasure waiting at the end.  Pipe dreams, you say? Perhaps, but tell that to the lottery winner who clung to hope as she spent her last dollar on the winning ticket.  Foolish, you say? Maybe. Some would say it’s just as foolish to believe in miracles or guardian angels. Believing in any thing that isn't tangible invites mockery from those who insist on believing only what they can see. The bane of their existence is faith in a higher power.  But in spite of it all we still willingly sign on to be Santa’s helpers year after year.  Try to remember the fun you had as a child. 

My favorite memory of Christmas occurred when I was four years old. My family lived in what would be called a studio apartment now but were quite common in the 50s.  My sister and I slept on a sleeper sofa in the living room area and this is where my mother had put the tree.  The tree stood in front of bay windows and my mother had it fully decorated.  I woke up on Christmas morning before anyone else in the family.  (I was always the first to wake up but the rule was, wait until mom or dad got up before kids attacked the tree!)

 As I sat there, waiting patiently, I noticed one of the windows was open just enough to blow curtains away from the window.  Oh, and there was a broken glass.  I waited.
In comes Mom with Dad right on her heels as she stops dead in her tracks and in her most annoyed voice declares, "He broke a glass.  He broke a glass and didn’t even leave a note.  Honey, go get the broom and dustpan so I can clean up and let the girls open presents.”  She was clearly miffed but not nearly as much as Dad.

"Well, we’ll see how he likes not being able to get in next year."  To which my mom interjected in a pleading tone, "Honey, stop and think about the girls.  We can forgive him this time.  After all, he is trying to see everyone in a really short period of time.  Let it go.”
I was mesmerized. Santa made a mess…oh, wow!  The glass was swept up and Christmas morning proceeded and Santa’s mess was never mentioned again.

Now, did I need therapy after learning years later that Santa was not real? Hardly.  I was so impressed, thinking back on how much effort my parents put into creating magic that they, themselves missed out on being poor children of the Great Depression.  My mom was a master at creating magic.  That was only one Christmas morning out of oh, so many I remember.

The magic lasted well into my teens because about the time I discovered the truth, I had a baby sister who needed to be enfolded into the mysteries of Christmas.  I had gone from being the object of the magic to being a conspirator of magic in the family.  But just because I knew the truth did not mean Mom slacked up on delivering magic for all of us.

I’ve thanked them so many times over the years for cultivating and nurturing the love for fantasy and magic in their children. This desire to create such wonders in childhood has been passed on to our children and now the grandchildren. 

Such a gift.  

Keep the child alive in you that seeks out magic and mystery, even if it can only be done by creating it for others.  Aido Wedo beckons to all who seek the thrill of waiting for magic to happen.  Long live the seekers of magic and treasure in the world today!!  We need a little magic right about now, don’t we?

No comments:

Post a Comment